Lacanche

Se connecter

History

The village of Lacanche’s history is closely tied to its metal working activity starting from the Middle Ages. It was at that time that a forge was built to exploit iron and water, both of which are readily available in the area.
The Duke of Burgundy built a foundry in the place called La Canche in the 15th century. In 1763, local landowner Jean-Baptiste Richard de Curtil had a blast furnace constructed.

A few years after the French Revolution, Jacques-Etienne Caumartin continued the exploitation of the forges and the development of the site, making new investments to improve the foundry’s quality and increase its production capacity. Ferdinand Coste and his descendants would contribute to the growth of the industrial activity throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

Today, the Lacanche Range Cookers are build on the same site.