Wash and dry the courgettes; remove the seeds with a small spoon. Remove the leaves from the celery; peel the carrots.
- Cut the vegetables into little sticks and put them in the steam-cooker.
- Cook them separately until they are tender, but not too soft.
- Roll the sole fillets on the work surface while stuffing them with vegetables. Secure each one with a wooden skewer. Set the remaining vegetable strips aside for later use. Arrange the rolled fillets in the oven dish. Pre-heat the oven to 180°.
- Finely chop the peeled shallots.
- Transfer them to a saucepan along with the port, then reduce almost to dryness.
- Add the vinegar and the sugar.
- Put the rolled fillets in the oven for 10 minutes (oven at 180°C).
- At the oven door, tilt the plate to collect the cooking juices. Set them aside for later use.
- Bring the cooking to an end. Keep the rolled fillets warm on a plate under some aluminium foil (oven switched off).
- Add the cooking juices to the vinegar sauce base and let it reduce to about the volume of a generous wine glass.
- Off the heat, blend in the 100g of butter, a little at a time, stirring to bind the sauce together well. Check seasoning (salt & pepper).
- Quickly heat the remaining vegetables with the 20g of butter.
- Present in a warmed serving dish. Arrange the rolled fillets with the vegetables surrounding them, cover in sauce and serve immediately.
Level of difficulty:
- 12 fillets of sole
- 6 small courgettes
- 6 carrots
- 6 sticks celery
- 3 shallots (banana shallots, French gourmet shallots)
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cider
- 1/10 litre port (ruby)
- 2 teaspoons concentrated fish stock diluted with 1 glass white wine
- 1 sugar cube
- 100g + 20g butter
- Salt, pepper
- 1 steamer
- 1 heatproof china plate
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 large knife or chopper
- 1 chopping board
- 1 copper saucepan (or a saucepan with a thick base)
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 small ladle
- small wooden skewers (cocktail sticks)