Break up the almonds in the mixer.
Ready the egg whites by separating them from the yolks.
PREPARING THE MERINGUE
- Mix the chopped almonds and the sugar in the mixing bowl.
- In the basin, whip the whites until very stiff.
- Gently fold mixture and egg whites together.
- Line the tins or moulds (having previously greased them with butter) with this mixture and place in the oven (oven pre-heated to 200°C).
Cook for 10 minutes, then set aside for later.
PREPARING THE GANACHE
- Bring the cream to boiling point.
- Add the chocolate, broken into small pieces, a little at a time. Lower the flame and stir.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and continue to whisk the contents until the consistency is even throughout. Allow to cool.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKES
- Remove the meringues from their moulds as soon as they have cooled. Place one on top of another, with a layer of ganache in between.
- Decorate with ganache, using the icing bag.
MAKING THE NOUGATINE
- Carefully wash and dry the saucepan before making up a caramel (sugar plus a spoonful of water). As soon as it has become a lovely golden colour, add the almonds.
- Mix briskly and pour the nougatine onto the marble, which should be oiled in advance. Spread with the rolling pin.
- Cut the nougatine into triangles and place on the cakes.
- 90g caster sugar
- 90g chopped almonds
- 3 egg whites
- 20g butter
- 80g dark or cooking chocolate
- 50g double cream
- 75g sugar
- 50g chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 12 small cake tins or moulds (6cm diameter)
- 1 pudding basin
- 1 small copper saucepan
- 1 hand-operated beater
- 1 electric mixer
- 1 glass mixing bowl
- 1 icing bag
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 marble pastryboard
- 1 large palette knife
- 1 long stainless steel spoon